Volunteer for the Architects Foundation
Volunteer at The Octagon
Since opening our doors in May, we have had over 200 visitors to the Octagon! Our visitors are enjoying our reinvigorated exhibits, narratives, and updated guided tours. With such an amazing response, we are excited to launch our Octagon Volunteer Program. Octagon volunteers will enjoy special perks such as discounts at the AIA Store, a FREE membership to our Octagon Alliance, special invitations and discounts to Octagon events, among others. We are currently recruiting for Museum Docents and Special Events Volunteers.
Museum Docents—provide tours of the house and manage front desk operations.
- Commitment—at least one shift per month. Shifts include, a private tour, assisting with a special event/program/exhibit launch and/or regular museum hours
- Training—virtual and onsite components, docent handbook, supplemental materials, and hands on training opportunities
- Benefits—free Octagon Alliance membership, 20% discount in AIA bookstore, invitations to special and member-only events, volunteer events and outings
- Qualifications—eager to engage with the public, enjoy connecting with visitors from around the world, excited about our mission and telling the story of the Octagon. Minimum age is 16. Both student service-learning hours and internship hours are encouraged.
- Please be advised, the Octagon is not ADA Accessible and there are multiple flights of stairs throughout the house.
Special Events—provide critical staffing for special events and rentals. These may include exhibit openings/programs/AF events and private rentals
- Commitment—one event per quarter (potentially once a month/one bimonthly as we reopen and host more events)
- Training—virtual and onsite components, volunteer handbook, and hands on training opportunities
- Benefits— free Octagon Alliance membership, 20% discount in the AIA Store, invitations to special and member-only events, volunteer events and outings
- Qualifications—enjoy assisting with special events and public facing duties as assigned
Become a volunteer fundraiser
The Architects Foundation seeks volunteers to help raise funds for various programs. Learn more about programs you can support below.
Diversity Advancement Scholarship for Black Women >
Supports black women in architecture school
Student Loan Relief >
Provides debt relief for architecture graduates
Sho-Ping Chin Women’s Leadership Summit Grant >
Supports leadership development for women architects
Serve as a scholarship application reviewer
The Architects Foundation pulls in volunteers to review applications for our eight different scholarships. Our fall scholarships are typically reviewed between March-May, and our summer scholarships are typically reviewed between August and October.
Serve on our Board of Directors
The Architects Foundation annually vets candidates for our board of directors for three-year terms, and seeks additional appointments for board committee members on an ongoing basis. Interested candidates should send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.