Diversity Advancement Scholarship
This architecture scholarship can change your life!
Maybe you chose architecture because you want to design a better world. Or you can’t imagine doing anything else. One thing’s for certain: You love this work. And we’d love to help fund your college experience with a multiyear scholarship, up to $20,000.
We created the Diversity Advancement Scholarship to help more minority students pursue a successful career in architecture. Multiple scholarships are available.
We’re looking for minority students whose imagination and design thinking will influence the future of the built environment and the architecture profession. Eligible students must be a US citizen, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and be:
- a high school student planning to enroll in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program;
- a rising second-year college student in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program; or,
- a technical school or community college student who has completed high school or its equivalent and intends to transfer to a NAAB-accredited architecture program.
NAAB-accredited degree programs may be a five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree, or a four-year pre-professional bachelor degree followed by a Master of Architecture degree. Scholarships may be renewed for up to 5 years (up to a $20,000 total award—multiple scholarships are available).
The Diversity Advancement Scholarship was created in 1970 with an initial grant from the Ford Foundation, after civil rights leader Whitney Young Jr. challenged architects in 1968 to create a more responsible and equitable field.
Apply online starting November 5, 2018. The deadline for applications is January 16, 2019, 11:59pm Eastern.
- Review the eligibility requirements.
- Complete an online application by January 16, 2019.
- Upload all application materials including:
- personal essay
- two letters of recommendation
- two examples of your creative work
- estimated college expenses (requires FAFSA)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to the 2018-2019 recipients!
Esmeralda Aceituno of Los Angeles, CA
Daniel Allen of Chicago, IL
Elizabeth Amigon of Sunnyside, NY
Annabelle Asali of Los Angeles, CA
Shanelle Brown of Fairhope, AL
Nina Crosby Walton of Frederick, MD
Andrea De Haro of Doral, FL
Genesis Gadberry of San Angelo, TX
Isabella Greco of Chicago, IL
Lauren McLean of Mount Vernon, NY
Amy Rojas of San Antonio, TX
Sarah Saad of East Elmhurt, NY
Maly Sears of Adrian, MO (scholar funded by Benjamin Moore & Co. Foundation)
Caroline Senyszyn of Fort Worth, TX (scholar funded by Benjamin Moore & Co. Foundation)
Luiza Vara of Phoenix, AZ
Ania Yee-Boguinskaia of Houston, TX (scholar funded by AIA Custom Residential Architects Network)
Nahom Zeleke of Columbia, AL
Carolina Zuniga of Doral, FL
We’d like to extend a special thank you to our scholarship sponsors!